December 13, 2020
S1E10 - What do Pacific Islanders think about religion?
Six Indigenous Pacific Islanders—To’a, Teatuahere, RT, Temiti, Symone, and Kawena—share experiences with organized religion in the Pacific
[EP#10: DECOLONIZATION SERIES #4] What do Pacific Islanders think about religion in the Pacific?
Six Indigenous Pacific Islanders share personal thoughts on organized religion and how to decolonize—if they think it can be done at all. Kalani then goes into a summary on a paper about media coverage and the framing of the Pacific in the media with regards to climate change.
You will hear from:
- To’a, our Fijian poet, iTaukei brother, and man of God
- Tēatuahere, our favorite diasporic Tahitian Ma’ohi poet
- RT, our God-loving che’lu ginen Guahan with roots in Chuuk
- Temiti, our Samoan Tahitian Ma’ohi educator with roots in France
- Symone, our Guahan Chamorrita neni girl reconnecting with her Indigeneity
- Kawena, our favorite angry angry Hawaiian Nationalist and Kānaka Māoli
- 'A calling from God': Politicians and religiosity in the Pacific Islands. October 2013. Global Change Peace & Security 25(3) DOI: 10.1080/14781158.2013.810616 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/263250982_%27A_calling_from_God%27_Politicians_and_religiosity_in_the_Pacific_Islands
- Maldonado‐Torres, N. (2014), Race, Religion, and Ethics in the Modern/Colonial World. J Relig Ethics, 42: 691-711. https://doi.org/10.1111/jore.12078 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jore.12078
- “Decolonizing Religion: The Future of Comparative Religious Ethics”, Irene Oh. May 29, 2020. Accessed 13 December 2020. Link: https://contendingmodernities.nd.edu/decoloniality/decolonizing-cre/
Links to Resources:
- Follow our list of Deep Pasifika on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/i/lists/1296009348313804800?s=09
- Purchase ‘Kiki: Ten Thousand Years in a Lifetime” by Sir Albert Maori Kiki: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/kiki-ten-thousand-years-lifetime/author/maori-kiki-albert/
- Carolann Carl’s “Tuna for FSM” beautiful spoken word video: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIqvjFNBvdI/?igshid=1l2agoy0jghv3
- The video series “Fighting for Our Survival”: https://350.org/survivalfilm/
- Prutehi Ritidian (Guåhan): https://twitter.com/PrutehiLitekyan
- Protect Mauna Kea (Hawai'i): https://www.protectmaunakea.net/
- Ihumātao (Aotearoa): https://www.protectihumatao.com/faq.html
- About West Papua: https://www.freewestpapua.org/info/about-west-papua/
- More about West Papua Conflict: https://thediplomat.com/2019/09/why-is-west-papua-in-constant-turmoil/
Support Deep Pacific Podcast by donating to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/deeppacific
Find out more at http://deeppacific.org
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.