S2E1 - What does it mean to be Pasifika diaspora?
Six Indigenous islanders share experiences of being diasporic (or not), (be)longing, and hope
[S2:EP#1] What does being diasporic Pasifika mean to me?
Six Indigenous Pacific Islanders dive deep into their experiences of loving home from a distance, and whether or not they consider themselves diasporic [not all do!]. Kalani then discusses a scientific paper on using a gendered lens to describe women’s fishing activities and marine governance in a marine preserve in the Solomon Islands, Melanesia.
In this episode you will hear from:
- Austin, a diasporic Yapese-Palauan living in the Kingdom of Hawai’i
- Brooke, a Tongan-Niuean-Samoan Pasifika woman living in Aotearoa
- Kawena, our favorite angry Hawaiian Kanaka Maoli revolutionary in the making
- Te Tangaroa, a displaced Maori in Australia who wishes to return home
- Danideru, a diasporic Scottish-Chamorro recording, digital, and film artist
- Carolann, a diasporic story-teller, cultural practitioner, and spoken word poet from Pohnpei
- Rohe, J., Schlüter, A. & Ferse, S.C.A. A gender lens on women’s harvesting activities and interactions with local marine governance in a South Pacific fishing community. Maritime Studies 17, 155–162 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40152-018-0106-8
Links to Resources:
- Stevie Davis-Tana: Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/steviesion/
- Stevie’s “On the Importance of Whakapapa” (TEDxTalk): https://youtu.be/_CScSGJO5tI
- Stevie’s “Project Ko”: A Visual Essay: https://www.projectko.com/
- Guma Gela (Queer Chamoru Collective) Linktree: https://linktr.ee/gumagela
- Learn more about what is happening in West Papua: https://www.freewestpapua.org/info/
- Learn about/donate to the victims of the shooting or support Asian Mutual Aid funds: https://nymag.com/strategist/article/where-to-donate-to-help-asian-communities-2021.html
- Learn more about Prutehi Litekyan (Save Ritidian) Guam: https://www.facebook.com/saveritidian/
- Article: “What is Diaspora? Definition and examples” by Robert Longley: https://www.thoughtco.com/diaspora-definition-4684331
- Humans of Kiribati: http://www.humansofkiribati.com/
- “Save Tuvalu, Save the World” Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/savetuvalusavetheworld/
- Support KVIBE (for Austin): https://atlasofthefuture.org/project/kvibe/ // https://www.kkv.net/kvibe-1
- Support a Maori diaspora: Mad Chef Red’s Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/madchefred
- Check out Carolann’s blog post of the Pohnpeian Diasporic Hero Isohkelekel: https://keweriwer.wordpress.com/
- Check out Dañet (Danideru)’s linktree: https://linktr.ee/danideru
Support Deep Pacific Podcast by donating to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/deeppacific
Find out more at http://deeppacific.org
This podcast is powered by Pinecast. Try Pinecast for free, forever, no credit card required. If you decide to upgrade, use coupon code r-340386 for 40% off for 4 months, and support Deep Pacific Podcast.